Protecting your lawn mower deck is an important part of lawn mower maintenance. The deck is the part of the mower that comes into contact with the ground and can be easily damaged by rocks, sticks, and other debris. Here are some tips on how to protect your lawn mower deck:
- Check the blades regularly Check the blades on your lawn mower regularly and replace them if they become dull or damaged. Dull blades can cause the mower to work harder and can damage the deck.
- Adjust the deck height Adjusting the deck height can help prevent damage to the deck. Keep the deck height high when mowing over rough terrain or areas with debris, and lower it when mowing on flat, even surfaces.
- Avoid mowing over rocks and other debris Avoid mowing over rocks, sticks, and other debris that can damage the deck. Take the time to clear the area of debris before mowing.
- Clean the deck regularly Cleaning the deck regularly can help prevent corrosion and rust. After mowing, use a putty knife or scraper to remove any large clumps of grass or debris, then rinse the deck with water and dry it thoroughly.
- Apply a protective coating Applying a protective coating to the deck can help prevent rust and corrosion. There are many commercial products available that can be applied to the deck to protect it from the elements.
- Store the mower properly Storing the mower properly can also help protect the deck. Store the mower in a dry, sheltered area, and cover it with a tarp to protect it from the elements.
Protecting your lawn mower deck is an important part of mower maintenance. By regularly checking the blades, adjusting the deck height, avoiding debris, cleaning the deck, applying a protective coating, and storing the mower properly, you can help prevent damage to the deck and keep your mower performing at its best.